3ders.org Forums

Full Version: 3D Printing Education
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi 3ders,
I am new to this forum. Thanks for having me. I have just left my full time job to start a new venture in the business of 3D printing education.
Three Farm is the organisation name.
We educate low socio economic communities design thinking and sustainability through 3D printing. http://www.threefarm.com
I have started this thread to get a feel for how many schools out there are investing in 3D printing. If the schools that your children, brother, sister, nieces, nephews etc are already moving down this path, it would be great to know when and where.

Your contribution is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mel

art3d

GDay Mel. Welcome to 3ders. I liked what you said that this "technology that will soon be accessible and practical to everyone – both in professional and personal domains." It is our absolute passion to help as many people use this technology and to make to most of it. Raise the passion is what we say every day.

I have a company on Melbourne that has a long (20 year+) reputation of producing things no one else wanted to help with. Mostly machinery, medical imaging equipment and radioactive protection equipment. I'm 47 now with 30 years of finding engineering solutions. From the age of 6-8, I used to play with lego. I imagined a machine that could put the bricks together and make things. That was my very first realisation of additive manufacturing. That thought or dream never left my mind.
When i discovered you could buy cheap 3d printers, I had to have one. After i got my first one, I fell in love. But there was one thing that was not pleasing to me. its size. We looked at the design of the one we had and thought we could do a better job. After all, that is what we do.
We decided if we where going to do it lets make the biggest one in the world and them make even bigger ones with even more features. To us it was a natural progression to build a machine that could produce things from images. Like the phase contrast imaging micro focus x-ray machine for a Melbourne university a couple of years ago.
This year my company will take in some work experience students from the local high school. We are keen to help work out how 3d printing can help each individual student. Apart from that we are looking at being a part of a fab-lab in our area. I have contacts in university's around Melbourne as well as some government funded organisations that may be able to help.

Our Sabertooth printer is designed to be a better choice than the big Fortus900 by Stratasys. Our printer will print in more materials and is in some cases around a tenth of the cost. I have a small but talented team. If we could help Grace or your self in any way please let us know.
That is also our passion. We aim to reach people of all ages who tend to stumble across new trends later than most. 3D printing is empowering, and the more people that tinker the greater the innovation rates will rise.

Speaking of innovation, how cool is the Sabertooth! Congratulations... I would love to see it in action first hand. I am drumming up some potential workshops in Victoria, when i get down there i will defiantly be paying you a visit.

I am doing a presentation to R/GA is a full-service digital advertising agency that delivers innovative communications, consulting, and commerce solutions.
I would love to use your company as a case study.
Would you mind?
Do you have a website?

Contacts that are receiving government funding would be a great help. We would really benefit from finding out what grants to go for and how.

Thanks Mel

(01-20-2014, 10:43 AM)art3d Wrote: [ -> ]GDay Mel. Welcome to 3ders. I liked what you said that this "technology that will soon be accessible and practical to everyone – both in professional and personal domains." It is our absolute passion to help as many people use this technology and to make to most of it. Raise the passion is what we say every day.

I have a company on Melbourne that has a long (20 year+) reputation of producing things no one else wanted to help with. Mostly machinery, medical imaging equipment and radioactive protection equipment. I'm 47 now with 30 years of finding engineering solutions. From the age of 6-8, I used to play with lego. I imagined a machine that could put the bricks together and make things. That was my very first realisation of additive manufacturing. That thought or dream never left my mind.
When i discovered you could buy cheap 3d printers, I had to have one. After i got my first one, I fell in love. But there was one thing that was not pleasing to me. its size. We looked at the design of the one we had and thought we could do a better job. After all, that is what we do.
We decided if we where going to do it lets make the biggest one in the world and them make even bigger ones with even more features. To us it was a natural progression to build a machine that could produce things from images. Like the phase contrast imaging micro focus x-ray machine for a Melbourne university a couple of years ago.
This year my company will take in some work experience students from the local high school. We are keen to help work out how 3d printing can help each individual student. Apart from that we are looking at being a part of a fab-lab in our area. I have contacts in university's around Melbourne as well as some government funded organisations that may be able to help.

Our Sabertooth printer is designed to be a better choice than the big Fortus900 by Stratasys. Our printer will print in more materials and is in some cases around a tenth of the cost. I have a small but talented team. If we could help Grace or your self in any way please let us know.

art3d

You would be most welcome to use our company for your case study and you would be even more welcome to see our printer and workshop when you are in Melbourne.
No, we do not have a web site apart for our fb page.
I have some good contacts re government assistance. We may be one, should find out this week. Finger crossed.
Thanks for the kind words about our printer.
Cheers
Jason
I just read an article about you and your team.
http://www.manmonthly.com.au/features/bi...-supersize
How exciting. Is the Sabertooth currently for sale?

(01-21-2014, 12:57 AM)art3d Wrote: [ -> ]You would be most welcome to use our company for your case study and you would be even more welcome to see our printer and workshop when you are in Melbourne.
No, we do not have a web site apart for our fb page.
I have some good contacts re government assistance. We may be one, should find out this week. Finger crossed.
Thanks for the kind words about our printer.
Cheers
Jason

art3d

Yes, We are taking orders for the Sabertooth and its bigger brother (code named Mammoth) that has a 1 meter cubed capacity.

It really is amazing how many people from all over the globe want to know more about it. There was even a story on Serbian news last week that was reported to me by a guy in Macedonia.
Hi,
in these days taking place a nice workshop about new material extrusion (agar). report from BIO-LOGIC WORKSHOP: Living structures and swarm bodies
Interactions between biological/digital computing – slime mold & digitally printed 2D patterns.

Tutors: Tommaso Casucci, Mirko Daneluzzo, Sonja Baeumel, Maurizio Montalti

For further details see: http://www.co-de-it.com/wordpress/diy-bi...op-24-25-j...

Some pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/co-de-it/se...140974623/