Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help asap Dimension BST 768
hey Guys,
My machine is toast! I have a BST 768 stratasys and Partition 1 is gone from the hard drive. don't know what happened but we just spent 4 hours trying to figure it out.
It runs Linux Red Hat Psyche.
does anyone have this machine and would be willing to clone a drive for me? or sell me an ISO of it? I am lost right now and need my machine back. if I cant track this down I have a big expensive paperweight or will have to figure another way to control it, maybe a retrofit of another software? any help would be much appreciated, I would be willing to pay for the software. thanks so much!
-Jim
And Stratasys can't help you?
I have sent them an email to their tech support. I own my machine and don't have a service contract so I doubt they will be eager to help me.
Was hoping to find someone with the same machine that could help or someone with parts.
I'm going to try them again tomorrow. Not allot of parts available for the dimensions. It used to work amazingly well and the precision is phenomenal.
does anyone here have the same machine?
(01-12-2014, 04:33 AM)CheckerJim Wrote: does anyone here have the same machine?

Good morning,
I have a Dimension bst 768. I was on google searching for parts when I saw your post. This might be your lucky day.

My situation. My head is garbage. They broke the support material input feed tube. ( the silver one that goes into the head itself ) Hence a search for parts. So yeah I would been willing to help. I think this one is garbage now. Man these things go for a mint used... I agree with you, a quality device.

A few questions...I could clone the drive/partition for no problem. But how do we know there is not some sort of device to stop us from doing this? Like your partition is matched to your hard drive serial number? You know something that makes sense to us, but manufacturers make proprietary.

What about firmware and crap? I really don't know the guts of this thing.
Oh good luck on Stratasys contacting you.

Advise.
we don't,
I was able to clone my drive and the cloned drive does the exact same thing, from what my Linux guy says all I need is the 1st section of the drive, mine is corrupt or even a file list of whats in the first section so I may be able to recover it from red hat disc or another section of the drive.
that's where we are at so far.
thoughts?
-Jim
My bst 768 has a 40GIG IDE Seagate drive in it. I have it out and in my hands. Give me a few minutes. I will see what I can do.
Tom
Ok go here...

http://www.austintown.k12.oh.us/~assistance/bst

There you will find a tar.gz file of the 1st partition from my bst 768.
I also included an imaged of the machine itself.

I have opened this tar.gz file in 7zip. It is a compressed tar with gzip compression.

I use a linux distro/utility called G4L. You can place it on a USB drive or bootable CD. How are you restoring this partition ? One possibility...

1. make g4L usb or bootable cd.
2. copy the tar.gz file to your c:\
3. install the bst768 as another hard drive in a system.
Now there are 2 hd's. maybe /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
4. Boot G4l Confirm this with SystemInfo
5. Do a local partition restore from a file.
The bst768 HD is the target and you pick the tar.gz file off your HD.

There are other ways to do this. This is the tool I used.
There are lots of utilities in G4L. You have 2 drives now correct?
You cloned the bad partition on another drive yes?
Good to have a backup.

Watch out for copying the files via a simple drag and drop in windows. You have to keep all the file attributes.

Also does your bst768 drive boot? When I place mine in a (PC) machine it boots to LILO and does actually boot Red Hat.

Advise,
Tom
mine starts to boot, it gets so lilo boot and continues to run, then it gets to a point where its trying to mount the drive and I get kernel Panic.
im going to email this to my tech guy and see if it will work, if it does you are AMAZING!!!
thank you so much for doing this, I hope it works!
I got a box of spare parts with mine I will look through it and see if I have anything you can use to fix yours.
-Jim

(01-14-2014, 09:58 PM)aust_txv Wrote: Ok go here...

http://www.austintown.k12.oh.us/~assistance/bst

There you will find a tar.gz file of the 1st partition from my bst 768.
I also included an imaged of the machine itself.

I have opened this tar.gz file in 7zip. It is a compressed tar with gzip compression.

I use a linux distro/utility called G4L. You can place it on a USB drive or bootable CD. How are you restoring this partition ? One possibility...

1. make g4L usb or bootable cd.
2. copy the tar.gz file to your c:\
3. install the bst768 as another hard drive in a system.
Now there are 2 hd's. maybe /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
4. Boot G4l Confirm this with SystemInfo
5. Do a local partition restore from a file.
The bst768 HD is the target and you pick the tar.gz file off your HD.

There are other ways to do this. This is the tool I used.
There are lots of utilities in G4L. You have 2 drives now correct?
You cloned the bad partition on another drive yes?
Good to have a backup.

Watch out for copying the files via a simple drag and drop in windows. You have to keep all the file attributes.

Also does your bst768 drive boot? When I place mine in a (PC) machine it boots to LILO and does actually boot Red Hat.

Advise,
Tom

I don't have a Linux computer so this is all greek to me. I hope my guy can figure it out. I have only worked in windows.
so heres where I got,
the file you sent, my tech was unable to get it to open. we did a fresh install of Linux red hat psyche. the computer end of the printer is up and online, have an Ip everything is functional on the computer inside the printer.
now, I need to know what or how to let the Linux computer inside the printer know its a dimension 3D printer. we are guessing there is some sort of operating program that the printer runs but we couldn't find it. I can communicate with the Linux os in the printer via Putty over my local network but that's about it.
the screen on the front of the printer says "AT"
I can boot the machine to red hat and that's where we are lost, any idea where to go from here?
thanks!
-Jim