Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
3D Systems ProJet 4500 3D printer>Why isnt this getting tons of attention?
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20131202-3...inter.html

The projet 4500 will print in full color plastic with no post process. Isn't this one of the holy grails of 3D Printing? I cant believe this game changing technology is not being discussed more.

Here's are a couple of questions I think are worth talking about:

1 no post process?

2 will self catalyzing substrates begin to dominate 3D printing?

3 how much of the FDM market will this impact?
cost vs model size? I wonder how expensive it is to use?
(12-10-2013, 12:24 AM)art3d Wrote: cost vs model size? I wonder how expensive it is to use?

Around $55,000
ROI on that unit should look something like what you'd expect from a Z printer, except there are no competitive technologies to bump the price you can charge down. Output from this machine would earn a premium because there will be only one machine where you can get a full color plastic prototype.

I wonder what the consumable cost and post process will be on this technology.

(12-10-2013, 11:49 AM)Anja Wrote:
(12-10-2013, 12:24 AM)art3d Wrote: cost vs model size? I wonder how expensive it is to use?

Around $55,000
Yes $55k is not much money at all for an awesome 3D printer like that.
My concern regarding cost is with the consumables mostly. I know people who have full colour 3d printers and they don't run them because they just cost to much compared to the others they have. The cost of consumables is coming down and should continue to do so for a long time to come.
Yep, I tend to look at printers as tools of the service bureau. In other words printing other people's models for pay. I think this printer will be widely adopted there first as it gives the most "flexibility" (color+form+function) for output!

I think its an important milestone to note this is the first production full color plastic printer. 3D Systems machines may be expensive, but it will definitely be a catalyst to move the industry forward!
We are also working on full colour on our giant printer. We are testing lots of things at the moment. Its a lot of fun I can tell you.
Wow, I hope that's going well. Are you mixing color in a liquid process?

(12-11-2013, 01:38 AM)art3d Wrote: We are also working on full colour on our giant printer. We are testing lots of things at the moment. Its a lot of fun I can tell you.
We will reveal all very soon.
(12-12-2013, 06:40 AM)art3d Wrote: We will reveal all very soon.

Please write to me when you are ready.