Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want to make a 3d printer, help
ok, i should start this by saying i am very VERY cheap, so keep that in mind with what i have to say.
im also not so sure if anyone can be of help...

i'm trying to figure out how to build a printer as cheap as i possibly can, without buying any parts for printers...
what i see is a steep markup in almost anything i look at buying, sure i know time goes into printing, but 65$+ for plastic parts and nothing else, thats kind of unacceptable.

so what i'm thinking is building a printer from really cheap wood, and old junked normal inkjet or laser printers.
also the motherboards for the printers, all i know of is one, printer board, that is about 130$ and i find that damn near unacceptable considering a raspberry pi costs 35 and thats a whole computer.

so with wood as a base, no access to a 3d printer, and a general unwillingness to pay much, how possible is it for me to make a cheap 3d printer...

the plan is to just get the thing to work, at least well enough to make parts.
if i can make parts, i could improve the printer, so for now its just a get it working deal.
anyone got ideas?

im thinking for the wood, pyramid shape, kind of a 3d trapezoid,
if i can get the right parts from printers, i should be able to get enough rods to at least print an 8X8 inch section, if not more,

for the z access though, thats where i'm drawing a blank, because i'm not sure how to get that working without a 3d printer already, or using more motors than i want.

any ideas?
depending on the printer motherboard cost i may just scrap the whole idea till raspberry pi projects get further along.

if anyone has experience with building a printer from old inkjet or laser printer parts, please, tell me what i'm getting myself into. i can probably get my hands on quite a few old printers, and im thinking parts i need could be bought from a hardware store, really, the parts that worry me the most right now are the hot end, extruder and electronics board.

if i can get this project off the ground, im also looking into making a filament extruder so i can buy pla/abs in bulk and make my own filament. any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated.
Well if you can pick it up and avoid the shipping inventapart offers the 10x10x10 rigidbot in a kit for $369. I looked around and even buying the motors and computer parts alone would cost me more than that. It comes with a heated bed a 10in by 10in by 10in build area and a spool of PLA. By far the cheapest and easiest option. The only downside is it's a new project and it's tooling up. They ship in December. Honestly you couldn't make one for less unless you got every part from the dump. But what is your time worth? I could make a well designed kit in a couple hours...scrounging parts for weeks could have mixed results. Unless the whole point is the process of making something for nothing your time is wasted.
(06-08-2013, 07:58 AM)Peterthinks Wrote: Well if you can pick it up and avoid the shipping inventapart offers the 10x10x10 rigidbot in a kit for $369. I looked around and even buying the motors and computer parts alone would cost me more than that. It comes with a heated bed a 10in by 10in by 10in build area and a spool of PLA. By far the cheapest and easiest option. The only downside is it's a new project and it's tooling up. They ship in December. Honestly you couldn't make one for less unless you got every part from the dump. But what is your time worth? I could make a well designed kit in a couple hours...scrounging parts for weeks could have mixed results. Unless the whole point is the process of making something for nothing your time is wasted.

honestly, i would like to build one, while that gives me almost everything, i'm looking into raspberry pi printers, i know it can be done, there is at least 1 working printer off a pi, and one that is still in proof of concept.

also,
LCD Screen - USB Flash Drive Reader
that adds almost 200$ to the overall cost,
because the printer gets hot a hell, especially with abs, i want to put it somewhere where it can be as loud as it wants and hot as it needs to be. my room faces the setting sun, it gets hot enough in here without that. if i can get a raspberry pi to work as the printer base, i can use old lcds as a monitor, and effectively take 300$ (the printer motherboard lcd and usb) and remove the cost, and with useing scrap printers, i should be able to get enough motors (im thinking at least 2 per access) and rods to really do a good job... hell with scrap wood i could probably build everything i need by hand... at least build something good enough to print so i can make a better frame later on.

i am going to keep track of that printer however because it shows promise.
http://hackaday.com/2013/04/30/scratch-b...rformance/

This guy made a printer out of scrounged printer parts. Looks like he spent about 100 Euros on new parts.

As for the LCD and card reader yeah I have one ordered. I don't want to tie up my computer or laptop all day but I could put together one from my scrap part bin.
for me its a heat issue... i do video rendering and stuff on my computer and when i do that, i can easily still use it, i can't imagine a 3d printer takes up more power than rendering out a 1080p video in a heavy compression with minimal loos in quality.

that said, this will be a great thing to look at, didn't even think of old scanners.
Take a look at dx.com search for "ramps" and "heated bed" they got some good deals on arduino stuff switches wiring and everything...shipping is free. I just got a digital stainless steel micrometer for $12.75! And it works and came with an extra battery, all the way open and back closed didn't lose zero! I'm gathering parts too and I've saved a lot there.

(06-09-2013, 12:04 AM)alidan Wrote: for me its a heat issue... i do video rendering and stuff on my computer and when i do that, i can easily still use it, i can't imagine a 3d printer takes up more power than rendering out a 1080p video in a heavy compression with minimal loos in quality.

that said, this will be a great thing to look at, didn't even think of old scanners.
I've built many 3D printers.. the Prusa i3 seems to be the best.

http://www.uk-3d.com/
Low cost UK 3D Printing [url=http://www.UK-3D.com]UK-3D[/url]