Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3d printer for the home
Alrigh so I a am considering getting a 3 d printer to mess around with this summer. My budget would be under 700.
Here are my priorities in order

Quality of prints(I would also like it to print abs as well)
Size of print area
Strong customer support (if I screw something up I want someone to help me fix it)
Under $700 for an ABS capable 3-D printer is tough unless you want to assemble one yourself. Heated print beds add quite a bit to the material cost (and price) of a printer. It's also a tall order to find strong customer support for a printer in that price range. At those prices, you are generally on your own, because they don't make enough money on the printers to pay a team to offer excellent support. The best you can usually hope for is good community support via forums. Print area is another place you will sacrifice to stay under $700.

If you can stretch your budget to $800 + tax & shipping, then you could look at the Solidoodle 3 printer, which has a decent build volume and a heated print bed for ABS. I have no personal experience with them, but there are a lot of folks who swear by Solidoodle printers as a great value.

There are also unproven cheap printers which are set to appear soon from Kickstarter companies, but they're an unknown quantity with no established communities. At this point, it seems like the Solidoodle 3 would be your best bet.

Anyone else know of something he could look at?
The best advice I can give is DO NOT buy a printer with out a heatbed if you live in a climate that gets cold.
Im curious if there are printers in the $700 price range that could be used to create metal silverware and other sturdy house hold items.
3D Printing blogs http://maximillianbradshaw.wordpress.com/
I would have a look at how much it costs to print with metal first. The powder, It's not going to be cheap.