Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Systems Cube printer...works!
undrpsi Offline
Informant

Video 3D Systems Cube printer...works!
I recently acquired a 3D Systems Cube printer for some work projects. We had talked about getting into 3D printing but had run into trouble selecting which direction. Reprap, Makerbot, and all the other 'DIY' printers seemed more like a hobby than a serious 'get the parts out the door' solution. The true 'industrial' 3D printers were a $ignificantly more costly and, in a way, just as complicated. We use both Autocad Inventor and Solidworks so programming the model wasn't the real problem. Then 3D systems started showing off their Cube home 3D printer. The Cube's entry price of $1299 ($1399 for the print pack with 3 extra filament cartridges and Cube Invent software).

Simple plug and play technology streamlined for home, school, and simple industrial use. On the other hand, their supply model is straight 1990's inkjet...sell the printer cheaply (relatively) and make your money on consumables. (HP anyone?). This was something we could step into and, at least, get some knowledge base built up without investing 40+ hours of build time and more for the software learning curve.

Unboxing video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHSN-A14Z...KAgaBZ38nQ
02-26-2013 11:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
COKREEATE Offline
Informant

RE: 3D Systems Cube printer...works!
congrats on the printer.
06-26-2013 08:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jim Offline
Informant

(02-26-2013 11:23 PM)undrpsi Wrote:  I recently acquired a 3D Systems Cube printer for some work projects. We had talked about getting into 3D printing but had run into trouble selecting which direction. Reprap, Makerbot, and all the other 'DIY' printers seemed more like a hobby than a serious 'get the parts out the door' solution. The true 'industrial' 3D printers were a $ignificantly more costly and, in a way, just as complicated. We use both Autocad Inventor and Solidworks so programming the model wasn't the real problem. Then 3D systems started showing off their Cube home 3D printer. The Cube's entry price of $1299 ($1399 for the print pack with 3 extra filament cartridges and Cube Invent software).

Simple plug and play technology streamlined for home, school, and simple industrial use. On the other hand, their supply model is straight 1990's inkjet...sell the printer cheaply (relatively) and make your money on consumables. (HP anyone?). This was something we could step into and, at least, get some knowledge base built up without investing 40+ hours of build time and more for the software learning curve.

Unboxing video

Great Jim! I am looking into the Flashforge printer for a hobby also,I would like to show the kids at the campground that we stay at, I read a good review on it
and think they would get a kick out of it making objects as they watch.
Jason
http://www.squidoo.com/flashforge-3d-printer-review
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 03:31 PM by jim.)
06-27-2013 03:24 PM
3DBK
Unregistered

I got my first gen Cube just over a year ago, right after graduating college with no knowledge of 3D modeling or printing besides a few things I had tried myself. I always tell people it's one of the main reasons i'm still having so much fun with it and constantly inventing things. The printer is so simple, I have had to replace the head (they gave me one even though I was out of warranty) and have even had to take it apart and re solder the contacts to the plastic cartridge. I also use their modeling program, Invent, which I picked up quickly, and use it in conjunction with Rhino.

I'll be investing in a more customizable printer in the future, but I think the cube has had a huge impact in my learning curve and really kept me going.
I also find the plastic relatively cheap for the things i'm doing.
You can see examples at http://instagram.com/3DBK and search my username on thingiverse for files

I really recommend it to someone getting started and am willing to answer any questions
09-18-2013 03:03 AM
Quote this message in a reply
ferdinandcook Offline
Informant

Of course, 3D printing requires understanding and proper training. Technically, 3D printer filaments can print in over different materials, and mainly consider for prototyping, which is still to be mastered on a commercial scale. For many, this is much cost-effective than the traditional way.
01-10-2014 08:21 AM
Hytek3D Offline
Informant

(02-26-2013 11:23 PM)undrpsi Wrote:  I recently acquired a 3D Systems Cube printer for some work projects. We had talked about getting into 3D printing but had run into trouble selecting which direction. Reprap, Makerbot, and all the other 'DIY' printers seemed more like a hobby than a serious 'get the parts out the door' solution. The true 'industrial' 3D printers were a $ignificantly more costly and, in a way, just as complicated. We use both Autocad Inventor and Solidworks so programming the model wasn't the real problem. Then 3D systems started showing off their Cube home 3D printer. The Cube's entry price of $1299 ($1399 for the print pack with 3 extra filament cartridges and Cube Invent software).

Unboxing video

The only printer that works is the cube, your lucky you didn't get a cubex single, duel or trio.
They are the worst printers out there
02-23-2014 02:39 AM