Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need Information
(11-27-2013, 03:52 AM)art3d Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 03:51 PM)BillDempsey Wrote: This would also allow me to feed regular filament through the machine.
If thats all you want to do, I heard its just a matter of cutting the tube and feeding filament in from another spool.

I used the word "also" to signify this as a secondary benefit. I'm already feeding regular filament from external spools by necessity. I have had a 100% failure rate on their cartridges. Tried 8. All failed. If I can change out the electronics, I won't have to leave empty cartridges installed in the printer in order to feed decent filament into the machine.

My primary reason for wanting to do this is so that I can use an open source tool chain for operation of the printer. Their software is horrid. Their firmware is bizarre. They use a proprietary print file rather than standard gcode. All of these elements hold this printer back from achieving its potential. It's lock-in at its worst.

There is a back door work around that lets us use KISSlicer with the printer now. For some reason, 3DSystems left the ability to print .BFB files in the firmware. A guy on the KISSlicer forums wrote a utility that converts the output from KISSlicer into a .BFB file. This is working for now, but 3DSystems could (and likely will) remove that capability at some point. Then, we'll be stuck again.

What I really want to do is use Cura or Octoprint directly with the printer. To do this, I would need Marlin compatible electronics installed in the printer. I'm still looking into it, but at some point, I'll have to make an attempt. It seems nobody else has tried it yet, so I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig when I finally do it.

Wish me luck.

Messages In This Thread
Need Information - by BillDempsey - 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Need Information - by BillDempsey - 09-14-2013, 12:02 AM
RE: Need Information - by art3d - 11-25-2013, 04:25 AM
RE: Need Information - by BillDempsey - 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
RE: Need Information - by art3d - 11-27-2013, 03:52 AM
RE: Need Information - by BillDempsey - 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM