Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large format 3d printer
Hi,

I am looking to build a large format 3d printer based on a CNC torch table design.

Fixed bed, initially with unheated stainless steel surface. Stainless beds have been extensively tested by several designers already. Later development will be a heated bed with zones so that one does not have to heat the entire bed if they are printing a small part.

Frame material is powder coat CNC cut brackets, and angle iron bolted together. Gantry will be 2mm aluminum plate, cut on CNC, then bent on press brake to form the right part.

Software will be Cura, with a modified firmware to accept dual print heads. The dual print heads will be treated in the Gcode like a dual tool CNC table with a engraver and torch. Same method of changing tools except the dual print heads will be a large extruder for rapid infill and a fine head for outer walls.

The projected build area is 5x10x3 feet.

Based on existing CNC torch table kit and material prices, I am projecting this to be able to offer this machine for $3500USD.

I already have the shop and equipment to make most of the hardware. I already have one CNC plasma table, The rack and pinion gearing I can have made at a tool and die shop in my building. The press brake is next door and I have the powder coat equipment. This is how I will be able to keep costs down by fabricating most of the parts in house.

Why am I doing this?

Well, several years ago, I partnered with a guy who was the worlds first large format digital print company founder. He told me about how he found the machine being built by a couple of new grad college students in a garage in Israel. He also heard about the first of these machines that was sitting in Richmond VA, unused. Seems a tobacco company bought the first one to print their tobacco billboards. The lawsuits happened and the machine gathered dust, never turned on.

My friend bought machine number 2 from the builders of the first large format inkjet machine. You prob have seen this machine printing banners at your copy shop. However back in the 90's this tech was very rare.
The builders of that machine? Scitex... Which was bought by HP for a hundred million a couple years later.

My friend flew that first machine from the garage in Israel to Sun Valley California. Next door to Hollywood. He started printing with his machine. Because it was new tech, it took over a month to get the thing working. The machine had all the problems that we see today in 3D. Driver issues, print head issues, materials issues, you get the idea. The machines print quality by today's standards was terrible. Something around 30dpi. But hey gotta start somewhere?

My friend ended up printing nearly every billboard for CBS outdoor, most of Hollywoods backdrops, the printed sails for the Americas cup yachts. He even did the first building and car wrap.

So I learned his lessons and his mistakes. He was successful because he was the first.

Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
Large format 3d printer - by Metzrobotic - 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by Pecos Bill - 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by Pecos Bill - 07-09-2013, 02:56 AM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by Peterthinks - 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by jsatpmp - 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by BillDempsey - 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by Aragas231 - 09-14-2013, 03:49 AM
RE: Large format 3d printer - by Cereus Graphics - 10-19-2013, 07:29 AM