3ders.org Forums
How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - Printable Version

+- 3ders.org Forums (https://forum.3ders.org)
+-- Forum: 3D Printing News (https://forum.3ders.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: News Discussion (https://forum.3ders.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution (/showthread.php?tid=72)

How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - Anja - 11-08-2012

While you were busy getting yourself all worked up and declaring 3D printing the beginning of a new age, one of the most maligned figures in modern patent law is preparing to rain on your parade. Nathan Myhrvold, former Microsoft CTO and founder of patent holder Intellectual Ventures, has managed to get an expansive patent on 3D printing DRM. That 3D printing revolution we’ve been hoping for just got a lot trickier.

The system envisioned by Myhrvold would be used to prevent users of 3D printers from abusing “object production rights.” The idea is that you would load a digital file into your computer and before any printing could take place, you would have to connect to some remote server that checks to make sure you have authorization to print the object. If this sounds familiar, that’s because it’s basically what happened to music in the wake of Napster.

Read more here

RE: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - Agent54 - 11-14-2012

Aww yes. It has finally caught up to us. The only reason I would see pushing this is to prevent the printing of weapons and arms.

RE: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - Emaker - 11-22-2012

printing weapons and arms Angel that's what they want the public to believe!!! it's just the same money machine that want to get it in the hand before it runs away and become hard to stop. they did that with the music!! BUT I think it will be really hard for them to put this patent in action, let's say I saw a really cool design and I want to make it, I can download the stl or CAD file and print it or download it and change it before the print or that's where is getting tricky!! I will design another one just like it BUT different. Well who's gonna verify if it's my design and how Huh From there I think patent or not, nothing will change!! we will keep making things and making things that makes other things, did you know how many Fablabs and hacker spaces exist right now Cool ? and look just to the Reprap project. NO WAY!!! Let them try.

RE: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - Garandman - 02-03-2013

(11-14-2012, 07:42 AM)Agent54 Wrote: Aww yes. It has finally caught up to us. The only reason I would see pushing this is to prevent the printing of weapons and arms.
What weapons and arms can be 3D printed?

Every "3D printed" firearm I've seen so far has metal parts touching the cartridge when it is fired. The rest is hype.

RE: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - mbrunelli - 06-27-2013

(02-03-2013, 03:00 PM)Garandman Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 07:42 AM)Agent54 Wrote: Aww yes. It has finally caught up to us. The only reason I would see pushing this is to prevent the printing of weapons and arms.
What weapons and arms can be 3D printed?

Every "3D printed" firearm I've seen so far has metal parts touching the cartridge when it is fired. The rest is hype.

I would think it'd become easier as stronger materials become more widely used on 3D printers. Not so sure about FDM and metal but hopefully we find a way...

RE: How DRM will infest the 3D printing revolution - jasmine78888 - 07-10-2013

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?